Dance of the Fantasia Hippos

Dance of the Fantasia Hippos

Sunday, August 27, 2006


To Blog or Not to Blog that is the question.

Now I must say I try to at least look like I know what I am doing when it comes to PC’s. I suppose I know enough to get me by. The motto is if it looks too complicated move on. If it has no shortcuts then bag it. And yip that’s the basic rules of a pc.

It amazes me when people look at something on the pc and know exactly what its about but to me its Greek. Let me share an example with you.

I recently decided I wanted a free counter on my blog site. BUT when I finished putting all the info in that it asked me, it came up with the biggest load of garbage so I though it was an error and so I tried again. Alas it did it again so I turned off. Only to find out later that was not a error message but a HTML code that you need to copy and paste into a template in order for the thing to show on your site. I MEAN who came up with this stuff. I did not find it very user friendly.

Now I tell you with tears in my eyes that when I look at the html it reminds me of an Astrix book when they swear and put in %$###@!!! > It however is how I feel at times, but none of it makes sense.

I recently invited my husband’s cousin Angel over to help me decipher what I was not able to understand.

Well she helped and my site is looking great but I must say it was a lot for me to grasp. I mean copy, paste and publish is good for me. I enjoy when little boxes pop up and I can just click on NEXT and Finish.

About 2 years ago I went on a Usability course. This simply means is something usable or not! This was through an IT company and it was usability for websites. I aced it simply because I am a simple person looking for simple solutions to everything I do.

I don’t think that blogging is difficult but as soon as you want it to look like more than just words then yes I think its very un user friendly if you’re a “dummy” like me.

However for me it has not really swayed me. I am determined to learn to do this. So for those out there thinking there is no way you can. Don’t fuss your not alone. I am sure that in years to come
things will simplify until then persevere and look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

thanx for the giggle!
i know where you're coming from... its how i felt when i first started too!

Brigitte said...

Hee - it won't take you years, just a few months if you just keep at it!