Dance of the Fantasia Hippos

Dance of the Fantasia Hippos

Saturday, August 19, 2006


The Screaming mom………


This is me……… labeled and scarred for life. It seems my children have acquired selective hearing. It’s quit a popular thing I hear. So the only way I can get through to them is to scream.

I now sit with an infection in my throat and I am unable to scream….. And believe me the silence that penetrates through my body is haunting.

I even had my mom tell me the other day ……… My word Cindy you sound like an old bag. Well I had no idea an old bag could sound like me but apparently I have a gift. I also have a gift that when I shout little people (like my children) actually listen.

I recently through my first tantrum …. Well my first in years…….. and it was great. My son Seth refused to do him homework he had excuse after excuse after excuse (I am sure some mums can relate) anyway I was tired of saying “Ag please my boy lets do this.” I mean his only 7 for goodness sake…………. So I let rip …………I through his book across the floor and yelled I am NOT doing this anymore ………….. his eyes stretched rather largely and welled up with large tanks of water………. I kept my pose though for a minute before smiling and saying okay lets try this again. Well it worked…..but for how long I am not sure.

My son was recently diagnosed with ADD/ADHD. I just thought he liked to bounce and got bored really quickly. Well let’s see my boet had this and in those days a minority called it Hyperactivity and the rest called it “naughty” so these big words like ADD and whatever else is new to me. My cous has a blog and her son has the same only she is about 10 years ahead of me, but reading it helps (I wont say it soothes the soul) cause she puts up with a lot but it’s a soothing thought (that’s it a thought) that there are others out there.

So for now I must run
From one screaming mom to the world out there……………. Beware of the selective hearing!!!!!!!

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

i had to giggle- i've lost count of my tantrums... but my happy pills do help! and as i think tracy says, us moms to adders are special coz we learn things in life through our kids that other people miss entirely!

Brigitte said...

I am sure there is not a mommy out there who hasn't screamed or had a tantrum - you are definitely NOT alone - hee!!